Financial Aid: Need Based

Financial Aid: Need Based

Student Financial Aid & Veteran's Educational Benefits

Danville Area Community College participates in need-based programs. The funds are issued from Federal sources through the Department of Education and state sources through the Illinois Student Assistance Commission (ISAC).

The first step to determine if you are eligible for any type of student aid (Federal and/or Illinois State) is to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Your eligibility for the need and non-need based programs will be determined from your family's financial resources as well as household size and number attending college (excluding parent's).

The previous year's financial resources (that is a completed Federal tax year) prior to the start of a financial aid award year is the data you will use to complete the FAFSA. If you have misplaced your (or spouse/parent) Federal Tax return you can call the IRS at 1-800-908-9946 and ask for the applicable years tax transcript.

If you think your family has an exceptional financial circumstance that should be addresses complete the directions and the worksheet for the Appeal for Special Circumstances (ASC) and return it (with supporting documentation) to the DACC financial Aid Office. To get the ASC Form click here  FORMS.

DACC's Financial Aid Office verifies all elements of the FAFSA data. You and your family will be requested to provide the documentation concerning the information required on the FAFSA. Your financial aid file will not be completed and student financial aid (that you may qualify for) will not be awarded until all verification is complete.

If it is suspected that information has been purposely falsified, omitted or misconstrued the financial aid office is required to refer these instances to the U.S. Inspector General's Office for further review and follow up. The process of determining student aid eligibility will not be completed until the instance is resolved.

Examples of instances that referrals are required:

  • False claims of independent student status
  • False claims of marital status
  • False claims of dependents that are supported
  • False claims of citizenship
  • Use of false identities
  • Forgery of signatures or certifications
  • False statements of income

Consumers may report any instances or suspected fraudulent action of others applying for Federal Student Aid  to the U.S. Inspector General’s Office by calling 1-800-MISUSED or use email at

Descriptions of the need-based programs are as follows:  

Illinois Student Assistance Commission (ISAC)

A resident (meeting ISAC resident criteria) of Illinois and is a US citizen or permanent resident of the United States, who is enrolled in an eligible program at Danville Area Community College, and demonstrating financial need as determined by the Illinois Student Assistance Commission, may receive a grant, called the Monetary Award Program (MAP). Other state gift aid may be available, ISAC will notify you of your eligibility. There is no separate State application, a student need only indicate state of residency, to be considered for state student aid when the FAFSA is completed. A Dependent student's parent(s) must be an Illinois resident. The Independent student must be an Illinois resident for 12 months prior to the beginning of the Fall term in the Award Year. The State sets processing deadlines each Award Year. Click here for deadline information.

Federal Pell Grant (FPELL)
Click here for detailed information concerning the Federal Pell Grant

Federal College Work-study Program (FCWS)
Click here for detailed information concerning working on campus with the Federal Work-Study Program 

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant Program (FSEOG)

This program is for students with exceptional need. Eligibility is determined from completed student aid files with verified Expected Family Contribution (EFC) index. These awards vary depending on total dollars to award and number of eligible recipients. Students are notified by their Award Letter. Funds are disbursed approximately three weeks after the start of each term. Funds are awarded until depleted, there is no stipulation that all exceptional need can be met.