Danville Area Community College (DACC) is an accredited public two-year community college providing higher education opportunities for youth and adults in East Central Illinois. Established initially as an extension center of the University of Illinois in 1946, DACC became a public junior college under Danville Public Schools in 1949, and received the name Danville Junior College in 1951. In June 1966, the College became an independent two-year area college with its own Board of Trustees and junior college district. The name Danville Junior College was changed to Danville Area Community College in 1979, to be more refl ective of the services rendered. District #507 encompasses high school districts in Vermilion, Edgar, Iroquois, Ford, and Champaign counties with an estimated population of 83,000.
The College, housed until 1965 at Danville High School, is now located on an attractive 75-acre campus at the east edge of Danville, Illinois. The heart of the campus utilizes 61 acres and several historic buildings acquired from the Veterans Administration which have been renovated for educational purposes. Partial funding for renovation was provided by generous public support of the Danville Junior College Foundation Drive in 1965. Classrooms, student services, library services, administrative services, and conference facilities are currently housed in these buildings. The remarkably beautiful buildings on campus have undergone extensive, historically sensitive renovations, including Clock Tower Center and the Library, Vermilion Hall, Cannon Hall, Prairie Hall, and the Bremer Conference and Workforce Development Center. Since 1996, Danville Area Community College has invested more than $46 million in state and local funds in site improvements, new construction, and remodeling. New construction since 1965 includes the Julius W. Hegeler II Ornamental Horticulture Building; the physical plant; the Harry J. Braun Technology Center, including the Industrial Training Center; the Mary Miller Center, including the Gymnasium; the Child Development Center; Lincoln Hall, Bremer Workforce Development Center Addition, Julius W. Hegeler II Garden Gateway, Wind Turbine Training Tower, Mary Miller Addition, and the Julius W. Hegeler II Addition to the Technology Center. In 2012, DACC expanded its ability to service residents in the northern part of the district by opening the DACC Higher Learning Center - Hoopeston in Hoopeston, Illinois.
In 2012, DACC expanded its ability to service residents in the northern part of the district by opening the DACC Higher Learning Center - Hoopeston in Hoopeston, Illinois.
Danville Area Community College has become a tradition in the lives of the people it serves. Multiple generations have sent their children to DACC to prepare for a career or begin the journey through higher education. For more than 75 years, the College has served the community with distinction, fostering learning, workforce development, and artistic initiatives, and maintaining a rich tradition of excellence in education.